Recently on Plain Vanilla

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Assigned Reading!

My Dear Reader,

I don't know how to apologize for my recent absence, except for to just say that I'm sorry. I made the choice to temporarily focus on other projects, but I'll be back as usual next week, I promise.

I wanted to write a post for you today, but I found out that someone else wrote it for me. I know it sounds like a cop-out, but the truth is that this is much better than anything I could have posted today. Also, I spent all of my available free time for the day reading it (I'm a little low on free time just now; no worries). And here it is:


It's about female playwrights, and I read this thinking about my role as a writer. Someday, I'd like to be able to get paid to write plays and screenplays and novels and poems and short stories. And (spoiler alert!) I happen to be female.

I believe that men and women were created by God to be different so that they could work together to create beautiful things. I also believe that the most beautiful things in the world are only possible when both men and women contribute. Some people would say that that makes me a feminist, and some wouldn't. So, I suppose that some people would call this speech feminist, while others wouldn't. I'll just say that it isn't sexist against men, as many who call themselves feminists are. It's just a story about what the environment is like for female writers in 2010, with implications that reach all of us. Once you're finished with that, I would like you to read this article, by the same woman who helped me find the above speech:


I agree with most, but not all, of what these articles say. I'm eager to know what your opinion is, so I would ask that you leave it in the comments section. There will be a quiz!

Regards, best wishes, and stories,

-Cecily Jane

5 comments:

Susan said...

Loved reading those articles, thanks for sharing. I have read a lot of and about Victorian literature, it's a great passion of mine, especially Victorian literature writen by women, many of whom wrote under male pseudonyms. I find it very sad that over 100 years later it is still suggested to women to write under a male name in order to have their talent recognized. Too, too sad.

Meg and Joe said...

The article were eye opening, but not a surprise. Finding myself in a "traditionally male" profession, I have seen it first hand. There is still much work to be done as far as "equality" is concerned.

Anonymous said...

i really adore your posting kind, very remarkable,
don't give up as well as keep writing for the simple reason that it simply just worth to look through it,
impatient to look at way more of your own content pieces, have a pleasant day :)

Anonymous said...

Good day


The new kid on the block is http://www.BuySellDirect.net is a Free and improved ebay to sell your products and services and make a second income on the Internet.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net 100% free service is all you need to make money on the internet.

Anonymous said...

Hello


USA economy faces difficulties due to the present economic crisis


http://www.BuySellDirect.net 100% free service is your overwhelming choice to sell your new and used products. It will open a new world to you to make money at home. It is like having improved ebay 100% FREE.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net 100% FREE service is all you need to sell your products to your local and/or international market. And have your own business at home.